Saturday, June 6, 2009

YA: The Chocolate War

 This novel is often challenged and sometimes has endured outright banning since its publication. I read it because I felt like something so troublesome and intimidating must be thought provoking and compelling. Instead I found Robert Cormier's book to be dated, trite and unconvincing.


The protagonist, Jerry Renault, feels compelled by the power structure of his school, to sell chcolates for their annual fundariser. In his refusal he faces the wrath and shock of the entire school and yet, he remains steadfast in his convictions and beliefs. Still, the threats levelled against him remain childish and assaultive at the worst. I was interested to note that Cormier never does cross the microcosm of the school environment to criticize society at large.


There were parts of The Chocolate War that had good imagery and interesting moral dilemmas but on the whole I found it to be a bit prankish and difficult to read. I had hoped for some twist at the end to make it more palatable but it ended as it began.

I can appreciate the significance of the text when it was published and I can also conceive of how difficult some of the issues might have been to address (lack of structure from school officials--sanctioning, even, the events that occured--bullying, intimidation tactics, school pranks, etc) but I think that the time for such issues to be of a degree of concern that would warrant banning or even challenging is past.

No comments:

Post a Comment