Ever since reading "The Red Tent" I have had a keen interest in Biblically rendered fiction. That is, books that utilize characters from the Bible but set them in a more accessible manner in order to better understand their roles within the Bible. Or simply perhaps, as fascinating characters with a great story to tell. Arguing about the Bible as a source of fiction, however, is a can of worms that I will leave alone for now.
"Mad Mary: A Bad Girl from Magdala Transformed at His Appearing" by Liz Curtis Higgs started out so promisingly I had high hopes that it wouldn't fall on its biblical face. But alas, though its characters were modern and multi-dimensional, its story was interwoven and intriguing, the author just couldn't help but fall into the religious didacticism that is often the downfall of religious fiction.
The ending was trite and superfluous and I was more than a little annoyed that a book that had started out so well fell into a Bible thumping morality tale.
No comments:
Post a Comment